Hi, I’m Jake!

I’m a secondary teacher candidate at the University of Victoria. I am also an Outdoor Educator and hiking guide. My dog is so important to me that I dedicated my master’s thesis to her. I enjoy writing fiction and I play the guitar.

There. That’s me boiled down to my most basic elements. You can stop reading here if that’s enough information for you, but if you want to know more have a look below!

Sometimes I look like a bushman….
Sometimes I look less like a bushman
This is Tsuga (pronounced Sue-Ga). She’s named after the Western Hemlock tree (tsuga heterophylla)

Background:

Education:
BA (hons.) in International Development from Dalhousie University.

International Development is an interdisciplinary area of study, and so my focus was wide and I sampled a broad range of topics. My early university experience looked closely at international politics and political theory. I then shifted towards examinations of politics and history of Africa and the Americas. My final years of study allowed me to delve into specialized topics such as the role of sport in development and into the study of happiness (subjective well-being).
Throughout my bachelor’s degree, my focus heavily focused on the topic of the environment and most of my projects were aimed in that direction.

MA in Environmental Studies from the University of VIctoria

My master’s degree was completed under the supervision and mentorship of James K. Rowe in the School of Environmental Studies at UVIC.  I examined nature connection and mindfulness in adolescents with a focus on climate change.

“Connectedness with nature and mindfulness on in-depth nature experiences with adolescents: an exploration of a combined approach to combat crises in environmental and human health”

(McCloskey, J.A., 2018)

The announcement of my thesis defence!

Throughout my graduate studies, I had an opportunity to further my understanding of political theory and look into the area of political ecology (study of political, economic, and social aspects of environment). I also had an opportunity to further my previous knowledge of subjective well-being (happiness) with an examination of mindfulness.

Teaching Experience:

My entire professional life has been centered around education of different varieties. In high school and into university, I spent my summers working with international youth learning English. Later, during my bachelor’s degree, I worked in the university climbing gym and taught lessons and summer climbing camps. My more intensive educative work began when I moved back to Victoria.

Since my return to Victoria in 2013, I’ve worked in the residence of a boarding high school, living on campus and working with the boarding students. My most recent role has been with the grade 8 boarding students. As they are the youngest members of the boarding community, they require more direct attention and so it is my role to work with them in the evenings through homework and study time, to help them develop good habits of co-living with their roommates, cleanliness, punctuality, etc. I also plan and chaperone activities for them.

I have also worked as an outdoor guide and Outdoor Educator in local high schools since my return to Victoria. I work (almost) exclusively with school groups as I find them to be the most rewarding and fun outdoor groups. I am primarily a hiking guide, and have a breadth of experience on Vancouver Island, having hiked the Juan de Fuca Trail (16 times with school groups, 5 times end-to-end),  Nootka Trail, Kludahk Trail, and throughout much of Strathcona park, particularly in the Forbidden Plateau area.
My strength is in my soft skills and I prioritize quality of experience over intensity of experience. I want young people to enjoy going out into nature and want to return. That being said, I have a particular love for teaching ‘tarp-ology’ and fire building skills.

Lastly, over the last two years I have worked as a Teacher on Call for a local private middle school, having received my BC Independent School Teaching Certificate in the area of Humanities (Social Studies).

Personal Interests/Hobbies:

I have a number of hobbies, very few of which I’m any good at or spend enough time practicing. However, I have a few that I’ve worked at over the years and keep coming back to.

Music

I love to play guitar and sing. I’ve done so since high school and continue to practice and work at this craft, though I haven’t played live in a number of years. If a professional guitar player or singer were to have a look at my technique, they would have a lot to critique me about, but I still think I’m decent.

I also have played violin and bass (guitar and upright).

Writing/reading

I love fantasy and science fiction. It is a particularly nerdy thing to admit, but I’ve never been ashamed of it. My parents have a photo of me from when I was in middle school reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban after school one day where I hadn’t even taken the time to remove my bike helmet and shoes because I was too excited to keep reading. It is one of my favourite photos of myself.

In the last few years, I’ve decided to write my own stories. Nothing is anywhere near ready to share, but it is the process of creation and craft that keeps me interested. I am a particularly large fan of world building.

Other Hobbies

Carpentry/woodworking – I’m no good at it, but it sure is fun!

Motorcycle touring – I’ve been to Alaska and navigated Washington State entirely on dirt roads. I don’t ride as much as I’d like.