During my Master’s degree, I happened upon a study by Schonert-Reichl et al. (2015) which examined the use of a mindfulness program in an elementary school in Vancouver. At the time, I did not pay it much mind. I was researching mindfulness only as it related to outdoor education and so I used it as an example of the efficacy of mindfulness in young people and moved on. However, as I move through the PDP program, thinking more about how I might manage my own classroom in the not-so-distant (I hope) future, I was reminded of this study.

The study is promising and very positive as to the benefit of a mindfulness practice with students. In broad strokes, the study saw mindfulness promote general positive social

behaviours and prosociality, while it decreased aggression, and improved academic scores (Schonert-Reichl et al., 2015). While mindfulness practice can take a wide range of forms, it is primarily achieved through meditation. Mindfulness can be defined as “…the awareness that emerges through paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally to the unfolding of experience moment by moment” (Kabat-Zinn, 2003, p. 145). And so, looking back at this study I examined the practice used. The protocol used was that prescribed by a not-for-profit organization called MindUP.

Initially suspicious of an organization that is selling a program to schools, I did a quick bit of research. Although I was initially suspicious, my fears were quickly belayed. The organization is truly a not-for-profit, seemingly only accepting donations rather than asking for payment. All their videos, blog posts, and research is freely available on their website. PDF documents of steps of mindfulness practice can be downloaded without any fuss. More than that, they appear to welcome research into the efficacy of both mindfulness and the MindUP program in schools.

Adding to my initial fears is the About page of their website (mindup.org). Below their initial statement of who they are and what they do is a wall of photos of their board members. With the likes of Kate Hudson (an actress), Ken Robinson (pop-science speaker/writer), Bill Roedy (former CEO of MTV), etc. it looks more like a feel-good project for the wealthy and famous to declare their philanthropy upon the world. The founder of MindUP is none other than actress, Goldie Hawn. In reality, however, the program really appears to be working towards positive change and not just a positive image maker for famous benefactors. Its programs are widely implemented in the Vancouver school district, and a quick Google search even brings up a parent information form from School DIstrict 43 in Colquitlam (https://www.sd43.bc.ca/school/coquitlamriver/Publications/What%20is%20MindUP.pdf). More than that, Healthy Schools BC gives MindUP an A+ for being evidence-based (https://healthyschoolsbc.ca/program/418/mindup)

And so, I withdraw my skepticism and submit a potential resource for mindfulness within a classroom setting. A resource that is well-studied and one that appears to be efficacious.

PDF OF THE BRAIN BREAK STEPS HERE: TheBrainBreakSteps

Work Cited:

Kabat-Zinn, J. (2003). Mindfulness-Based Interventions in Context: Past, Present, and Future. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 10(2), 144–156.

Schonert-reichl, K. A., Oberle, E., Lawlor, M. S., Abbott, D., Thomson, K., Oberlander, T. F., & Diamond, A. (2015). Enhancing Cognitive and Social – Emotional Development Through a Simple-to-Administer Mindfulness-Based School Program for Elementary School Children : A Randomized Controlled Trial. Developmental Psychology, 51(1), 52–66. http://doi.org/10.1037/a0038454